Dog bites occur frequently in Orlando, FL. While some incidents are minor, others result in severe injuries. At Payer Personal Injury Lawyers, our Orlando dog bite lawyers know the toll these injuries can have on you or a loved one. Call us today at (407) 648-1510.
Since our founding, our team has helped victims recover physically, emotionally, and financially from dog bites. Our team has over 28 years of collective experience getting victims rightful compensation.
Contact our law offices today to learn more. We offer a free initial case review to go over your legal rights and options.
Why Should I Hire Payer Personal Injury Lawyers To Handle My Dog Bite Case in Orlando?
Choosing the right representation in any legal situation is important. Dog bite cases are no exception. You’ll want an experienced Orlando personal injury lawyer on your side to make the most out of your claim for compensation.
Our team has recovered over $100 million in personal injury settlements for clients, including dog bite victims. Our dog bite lawyers are members of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates, which recognize their success in winning million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements.
At Payer Personal Injury Lawyers, we offer victims:
- Experience and Expertise: Payer Personal Injury Lawyers has seasoned lawyers specializing in personal injury law, including dog bites. Our experience allows us to understand the intricacies and nuances of your dog bite case.
- Case Evaluation: We conduct an in-depth evaluation of each case. We identify strengths and challenges and develop a robust legal strategy tailored to your dog bite case.
- Investigation: Each dog bite requires investigation. We investigate how your bite occurred, interview witnesses, and scrutinize medical records to strengthen your case.
- Negotiation: Dog bite cases often settle out of court. Our lawyers are strategic negotiators who can ensure fair settlements and help you avoid low-value offers.
- In-Court Representation: Our dog bite lawyers have years of trial advocacy experience. We will represent you in court to hold responsible parties accountable for your injuries when settlement offers stall.
Contact our dog bite lawyers in Orlando, Florida, to learn how we can help. Your initial consultation is completely free of charge.
How Common Are Dog Bites in Orlando, FL?
Dog bites are increasingly common in Orlando, Florida. They can also pose serious health risks and cause injuries and scars. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, more than 4.5 million people suffer dog bites yearly in the United States.
Over 1 in 5 of these victims receive medical attention, and many are children. Dog bite lawyers play an important role in helping these victims recover.
What Causes Dog Bites in Orlando, FL?
There are many causes for the over 4.5 million dog bites in the United States yearly. Understanding these causes is an important part of dog bite prevention. At Payer Personal Injury Lawyers, we have seen these common causes:
- Fear or Threat: Dogs might bite when they feel threatened, cornered, or scared. An unfamiliar situation or sudden approach by a stranger can trigger a bite.
- Protective Instincts: Dogs can be very protective of their territory, toys, food, or puppies. Approaching dogs in these situations can provoke a bite.
- Pain or Illness: A dog experiencing pain or illness may bite if someone touches a sensitive area. Sick dogs often feel vulnerable and may counter their vulnerability with heightened aggression.
- Lack of Socialization: Dogs that have not been adequately socialized may be unfamiliar with human interaction. This can make them more prone to biting out of fear or confusion.
- Maternal Instincts: Dogs with puppies can be especially protective. They may bite if they perceive a threat to their offspring.
- Startling: Surprising a dog, like waking it up suddenly or approaching it from behind, can elicit a bite out of fear.
- Breeding: Some dogs may be more prone to aggressive behaviors due to their breeding or genetic disposition.
- Improper Training: Dogs that are not trained or are trained using aggressive or punitive methods can develop biting behaviors.
- Past Abuse: Dogs that have been abused or mistreated might be more skittish and prone to biting.
It is important to understand these causes. Contact our dog bite lawyers today if you have suffered a dog bite in Orlando.
What Injuries Can Dog Bites Cause in Orlando, FL?
Dog bites can cause various injuries, ranging from minor to severe. Some common injuries associated with dog bites include:
- Puncture Wounds: These are one of the most common dog bite injuries. While bite wounds may appear minor, they can be deep and prone to infections. Some may require stitches.
- Bruises: The force of a dog’s jaw can cause significant bruising even if the skin is not punctured.
- Fractures: Large dogs may exert pressure on your wrists, arms, or legs. They can also cause you to lose balance and fall during an attack. This can cause fractures or broken bones.
- Face and Neck Injuries: Bites to the face can cause significant trauma, leading to scars. Facial bites can also affect your eyes, nose, or ears.
- Infections: Dog saliva can introduce bacteria into a wound. This can lead to cellulitis or more serious infections if the dog is not vaccinated.
- Scarring: Almost all dog bites will leave some form of scarring. This can be significant and permanent, and it often emotionally affects victims.
- Nerve Damage: Deep bites may damage nerves, causing numbness, tingling, or loss of function in certain areas.
Be sure to see a medical professional after a dog bite. An Orlando, FL, dog bite lawyer can help you recover the cost of treatment.
When Can Someone Be Held Liable for My Dog Bite in Orlando, FL?
Florida is a strict liability state when it comes to dog bites. This means a dog owner is liable for damages if they bite anyone. This is true even if the dog has never shown signs of aggression and the owner did not know of the dog’s propensity to bite. You do not need to prove negligence on the part of the owner.
There are exceptions to this rule. For example, if you were bitten while on someone’s property unlawfully, the owner may not be held liable, depending on the circumstances. This can occur when people sustain dog bites while trespassing on private property or ignoring a warning that a dog is on the premises.
What if I’m Partly Responsible for My Dog Bite in Orlando, FL?
Dogs bite for many reasons. Sometimes, however, the victim shares responsibility for the bite. Florida follows a modified comparative negligence approach for dog bites. This means that if you are bitten, and your negligence played a part in causing the bite, your compensation will be reduced based on your share of the blame. For example, if you tease or hit a dog and get bit, you may be found partly responsible for the incident.
It is important to note Florida’s “51 percent rule.” Under this rule, you cannot recover compensation if you are found to be 51 percent or more responsible for the dog bite. An attorney can work to protect you from allegations of shared fault so that you can recover full compensation for your claim.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Dog Bite in Orlando, FL?
If you believe someone is responsible for your dog bite, you may be eligible to recover compensation or “damages.” A lawyer can play an important role in helping you evaluate these losses. The two primary categories of damages you can get are called economic and non-economic damages. Examples include:
- Medical Expenses: This includes immediate medical bills from the incident and any future medical costs for ongoing treatment or surgeries related to the dog bite.
- Lost Wages: Dog bite injuries may cause you to miss work for treatment. When a bite causes you to miss work or reduces your earning capacity, you may be compensated for lost income.
- Pain and Suffering: Physical pain and emotional trauma are common with dog bites. You may recover compensation for this trauma.
- Scarring and Disfigurement: Dog bites can leave permanent scars or disfigurement. Compensation can cover the emotional and psychological impact of these scars and treatments or surgeries to address them.
- Property damage: If a dog damages any of your personal property during a bite, you may be reimbursed for the value of those items. This often includes clothing or other personal items.
Our bite lawyers will help you identify the compensation you can recover in your case.
How Long Do I Have To File A Dog Bite Lawsuit in Orlando, FL?
Dog bite cases have a statute of limitations. This is a legal time limit by which you must file a lawsuit. In Florida, this is two years from the date of the dog bite. If you fail to file a lawsuit within this two-year time frame, you may lose your right to seek compensation for your injuries – permanently.
It is essential to consult with a dog bite lawyer soon after the incident. A lawyer will help you preserve evidence and ensure your claim is preserved before the statute of limitations expires. Sometimes, the statute of limitations may even be tolled – or paused – temporarily.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire Payer Personal Injury Lawyers Dog Bite Lawyers?
Payer Personal Injury Lawyers recognize the financial toll of dog bites. That is why our Orlando dog bite lawyers represent victims on a contingency fee arrangement. Under this setup, clients are not required to pay upfront legal fees.
Instead, our payment is contingent upon winning your case or securing a settlement. Your dog bite lawyer will receive a predetermined percentage of the compensation you are awarded. This arrangement allows dog bite victims to pursue legal action without the burden of initial legal costs.
Contact Our Experienced Orlando, FL Dog Bite Lawyers
Since we opened our doors, Payer Personal Injury Lawyers Orlando dog bite attorneys have helped victims recover from the physical and emotional trauma of dog bites. Over 28 years of collective experience have helped us understand the intricacies of dog bite cases to maximize compensation for our clients.
If you or a loved one has suffered a dog bite in Orlando, schedule a free consultation today.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office In Orlando, FL
Open 24 hours
Our personal injury law firm in Orlando also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Attorney in Orlando, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Boating Accidents Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Brain Injury Accident Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Bus Accidents Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Lyft Accidents Attorney in Orlando, FL
- Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Uber Accidents Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Workplace accidents Attorney in Orlando, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Orlando, FL