If you were injured in a boating accident in Orlando, FL, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Boat accidents can leave victims struggling with painful injuries. An experienced Orlando boating accident lawyer at Payer Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
With over 28 years of combined experience, you can count on our lawyers to provide the quality legal representation you deserve. We’ve already used our skills to help accident victims like you recover over $100 million in settlements and verdicts.
Why Should I Trust Payer Personal Injury Lawyers To Help Me Fight for Compensation After a Boating Accident in Orlando?
When accidents occur on the water, things can quickly become traumatic. Victims of serious boat accidents often struggle with PTSD and fear in addition to painful physical injuries. The person responsible for causing the accident should be held accountable.
Florida personal injury laws allow victims to seek compensation when others are careless or reckless and cause injuries. That said, insurance companies and at-fault boat operators don’t just hand over checks for fair settlements easily. You’ll have to demand the fair compensation you deserve.
An experienced Orlando personal injury attorney can help. At Payer Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ve seen the impact that serious injuries can have on a victim–sometimes, for months and years into the future. We’ve succeeded in fighting for our clients and have been recognized by both the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
We’ll use our skill and legal knowledge to help you fight for every available dollar by:
- Investigating and gathering evidence
- Analyzing evidence to determine the cause of the accident
- Determining the fair value of your personal injury claim
- Bringing in experts who can help prove various aspects of your case
- Filing an insurance claim for compensation
- Negotiating aggressively with the insurance companies for a fair settlement
If you’re ready to learn more, contact our Orlando personal injury lawyers to schedule a free case review today.
Statistics on Boating Accidents in Florida
It’s not surprising that Florida has the highest number of boating accidents in the U.S. Florida has 8,436 miles of shoreline and over 1 million registered recreational boats. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, that’s more than any other state in the country.
Data prepared by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) shows that 723 boating accidents were reported in Florida during 2022. California was second in line with 454 reportable boating accidents.
These statistics include data on all types of boating accidents, including those involving:
- Cabin motorboats
- Open motorboats
- Personal watercraft
- Pontoon boats
- Rental boats
- Jet skis
Over 37,000 boats are registered in Orange County. If you were injured in an accident, contact Payer Personal Injury Lawyers today. We know that the cost of an injury can quickly leave you feeling overwhelmed–and we’re here to do everything possible to help you recover fair compensation.
What Is My Orlando Boating Accident Claim Worth?
Many factors will influence your case value. Because no two personal injury claims are exactly the same, there is no standard settlement amount.
Some of the most important facts that will impact your case value include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of your current medical treatment
- Your need for future medical care–and its anticipated cost
- The length of your recovery and whether you’re forced to miss work
- Whether the injury will impact your future work, education, or quality of life
- The overall circumstances of the accident
Our lawyers in Orlando will work closely with leading experts as we build your case. With their help, we’ll be able to understand how the accident and injury impacted your life–and how the injury is likely to impact your future.
Damages Available After an Orlando Boating Accident
Damages compensate accident victims who are injured due to someone else’s negligence. The two types of compensatory damages are economic damages and non-economic damages.
More specifically, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Reduced earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Anxiety, depression, and other types of emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
Our lawyers in Orlando will work closely with you, your doctors, and your family to identify the specific losses you have suffered due to the accident. Just call our law firm in Orlando to start protecting yourself today.
Can I Recover Damages if I’m Being Blamed for Causing a Boating Accident in Florida?
When you file a claim for compensation based on someone else’s negligence, they can argue that you were somehow responsible for the accident. In fact, you should expect them to try pinning at least some of the blame on you. This legal theory is called comparative negligence.
Under Florida statutes, a modified comparative negligence rule applies. If the insurance company can prove that you were partly to blame, your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of fault. However, once your share of fault reaches 51%, you cannot recover any compensation at all.
Common Types of Boating Accident Injuries
Like any car accident, boating accidents have the potential to cause life-changing injuries.
Our team at Payer Personal Injury Lawyers often represents injured clients who have suffered:
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Teeth and jaw injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
Boating accidents also have the potential to cause catastrophic and fatal injuries. If you lost a loved one, our wrongful death attorneys can help you fight to recover compensation.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Boating Accidents in Orlando, Florida?
There are many different ways that you can sustain injuries while on the open water.
At Payer Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent clients in boating accident cases that involve:
- Collisions with other vessels
- Collisions with fixed objects
- Falls overboard
- Fires and explosions
- Flooding or sinking
- Slip and fall accidents
Regardless of how you were injured, you’ll have to identify the cause of your injuries to prove that someone else was responsible.
Some of the leading causes of boating accidents include:
- Operator inattention
- Failure to keep a proper lookout
- Drug or alcohol use
- Inexperienced boat operators
- Violation of navigational rules
- Careless or reckless boating
- Sharp turns
- Congested or hazardous waters
- Poor weather conditions and limited visibility
- Mechanical failures
- Slippery surfaces
Every year, countless tourists in Florida rent boats to enjoy the water. These boaters are often inexperienced, unfamiliar with the waterways, and might even operate the vessel while drinking or using drugs.
Regardless of the circumstances, you can count on our Orlando boating accident attorneys to conduct a full investigation. We’ll gather the evidence you need to prove what happened.
How Do I Prove I Deserve Compensation After a Boating Accident in Florida?
Like any motor vehicle accident victim, you’ll probably have to prove negligence to recover damages from the insurance company. Negligence can take many forms. Negligent boat operation can mean speeding, allowing passengers to sit in unsafe locations, or operating the vessel too close to other boats.
In legal terms, negligence is the failure to exercise reasonable caution under the circumstances.
To prove negligence, you must show that:
- The defendant had a legal duty of care
- They breached that duty through some act or omission
- The breach of duty was the direct and proximate cause of the accident
- You suffered damages, or physical, emotional and/or financial losses
While you focus on getting better, our lawyers will gather evidence to prove your case. We’ll review any police reports, analyze your medical records, and speak with witnesses. In some cases, we’ll even bring in experts to testify about what likely caused the accident.
You Only Have a Limited Amount of Time To File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Boating Accident in Florida
Under Florida law, most accident victims have two years to file a lawsuit. The two-year clock starts to run on the date your accident happened. After the two-year statute of limitations passes, you can no longer sue for damages.
To make sure you don’t miss the deadline, contact an experienced lawyer sooner rather than later. Our lawyers can take steps to preserve your right to seek compensation.
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation With an Experienced Orlando Boating Accident Lawyer Today
An accident on the water can be especially scary. If you or a family member were injured, contact Payer Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation at 407) 648-1510. With an experienced Orlando boating accident lawyer in your corner, you’ll greatly improve your shot at recovering fair compensation for your losses.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office In Orlando, FL
Open 24 hours
Our personal injury law firm in Orlando also provides:
- Amusement Park Accident Attorney in Orlando, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Boating Accidents Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Brain Injury Accident Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Bus Accidents Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Lyft Accidents Attorney in Orlando, FL
- Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Orlando, FL
- Uber Accidents Lawyers in Orlando, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Orlando, FL
- Workplace accidents Attorney in Orlando, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Orlando, FL