How You Can Get Compensation For A Hit And Run Accident In Orlando
Auto accidents in Orlando can have serious impacts on all types of road users. Motorists, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians can all end up suffering potentially debilitating personal injuries as a result. At-fault drivers in these cases can be held legally liable for your financial losses, but what happens in a hit-and-run case? Our Orlando car accident attorney explains more about these types of crashes and how to get compensation in a claim.
Hit And Run Auto Accidents In Orlando
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), roughly 25 percent of all auto accidents that happen throughout the state involve a hit-and-run driver. Considering the number of residents and tourists in our area, they are particularly common in Orlando.
In addition to causing serious personal injuries, these crashes jeopardize the rights of innocent victims in seeking compensation through a claim. Among the most common causes include:
- The driver is uninsured. Drivers who lack the required insurance coverage may attempt to flee the scene to avoid legal liability.
- The driver is unlicensed or has an unregistered vehicle. Driving without a license in Florida or lacking proper vehicle registration can result in serious penalties.
- The driver was under the influence at the time. Drunk driving is one of the most common causes of auto accidents in Orlando. A driver may flee to avoid being caught.
- There are other legal issues involved. The driver may have been engaged in other illegal activities, be on the run from the law, or have concerns about their immigration status.
We Hold Hit And Run Drivers Accountable
Under the Florida Statutes, motorists are legally required to stop at the scene of any type of accident resulting in property damages or potential personal injuries. Failure to do so could result in serious criminal penalties. It also creates civil liability. While filing an insurance claim is not an option, you can hold them accountable in a car accident lawsuit.
The greatest challenge in these cases is locating the hit-and-run driver. As an experienced Orlando auto accident attorney, our office can take the actions needed on your behalf. This includes:
- Reviewing police reports filed at the scene;
- Interviewing witnesses for more detailed descriptions of the vehicle;
- Obtaining nearby surveillance tapes, which may contain footage that can help identify the driver;
- Soliciting tips from the general public and reaching out to local vehicle repair shops.
Get Our Orlando Auto Accident Attorney On Your Side
Hit-and-run auto accidents can cause serious personal injuries for drivers, motorcyclists, pedestrians, and other road users involved. At Payer Law, we take swift action to identify the driver and hold them accountable. However, it is important to act quickly in these cases. For help getting the compensation you need to recover, reach out and call or contact our Orlando car accident attorney online today to request a consultation.