Frequently Asked Questions After an Orlando Motorcycle Accident
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, having to deal with the aftermath can feel overwhelming. You are likely in a lot of pain, perhaps even still in the hospital. Your motorcycle is damaged, and you can’t work. You may feel like the world is against you, but that’s not the case. The biggest uphill battle you’ll likely face is dealing with the insurance company who will likely try to deny liability or give you a lowball settlement offer. This is why you need a competent and experienced Orlando motorcycle accident attorney who can help.
At the Payer Law, we have over three decades of experience helping Orlando area residents who’ve been injured in an accident while riding a motorcycle. If you need assistance, contact our office 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so we can schedule a consultation. We can even come to you in the hospital if necessary. To help you better understand the process, here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we get after motorcycle injuries accidents.
What happens if I wasn’t wearing a helmet? Can I still recover compensation?
It depends on what part of your body you injured. Even if you do sustain a head injury, it doesn’t mean the driver is absolved of all liability, so you could still recover a portion of your damages. Florida follows the theory of comparative liability, which means your damages may be reduced by the percentage of fault you were responsible for. What this means is that if you are found to be 20% at fault because you failed to wear your helmet, and the other party was 80% at fault, then you would still recover 80% of your total damages.
How much is my injury claim worth?
Unfortunately, there is no major number on the value of an injury claim. It doesn’t matter whether it was a car accident or a motorcycle accident, every case is different. Your claim value will depend greatly on the circumstances of the accident, who is liable, and what your injuries are. If you have permanent injuries or cannot return back to work, it can be worth far more than someone who suffered moderate injuries and went back to work after being off a week.
When do I retain an Orlando motorcycle attorney?
The sooner you retain an attorney, the better. Your Orlando motorcycle attorney can help you through the most difficult aspects of the claims process. The attorneys at the Payer Law will deal with the other party’s insurance company and/or lawyer so you can concentrate on getting better and returning to work. We will also help negotiate your medical bills and conduct an investigation.
Is there a set number for my pain and suffering that I will receive?
There is no set formula or percentage of your injury claim that is set aside for pain and suffering. Again, it depends on your injuries and damages. Pain and suffering for a permanent injury will be significantly higher than for someone who had soft tissue injuries only.
Contact a Florida Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
If you were injured in a Florida motorcycle accident, contact the Payer Law today to schedule an initial consultation. Let us help fight to get you the compensation you deserve.