Filing An Insurance Claim Versus A Personal Injury Lawsuit In Orlando
Personal injuries in Orlando often occur due to negligence on the part of others involved. As a result, they can be held liable for medical expenses, reduced income, and other losses you suffer. In some cases, insurance policies may be available to help offset these costs. Our Orlando personal injury attorney explains what you need to know about accepting a settlement versus filing a personal injury lawsuit in Florida.
When To Settle With Insurers
Personal injuries often occur as a result of car, bike, motorcycle, truck, or pedestrian accidents. Amusement park accidents in Orlando are common as well. In many cases, the at-fault party may have insurance policies in place to protect them against personal liability.
Filing an insurance claim may be the best course of action in cases where damages are relatively minor, and you want to resolve the matter in the shortest amount of time possible. However, there are three major drawbacks:
- Denial of Claims: Insurance companies are for-profit businesses, meaning they have a financial motive to deny or dispute your claim.
- Downplaying of Claims: The insurer may downplay the extent of your injuries, how long it will take to recover, and how your condition could impact your ability to work in the future.
- Policy Limits: Ultimately, the amount you are entitled to is limited by the terms of the policy. In minor cases, this may be enough to compensate you for your losses. In cases of severe injuries or wrongful death in Orlando, the best course of action may be to file a lawsuit through the Orange County, FL Civil Court.
When A Personal Injury Lawsuit May Be Your Best Option
Under the Florida Statutes, you have up to four years after an accident to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party involved. This allows time to attempt to negotiate an insurance settlement. It also allows time to gather the evidence needed in your case and for you to reach maximum medical recovery, which is the point at which any ongoing impairments are likely to be permanent.
Filing a personal injury lawsuit in Orlando has many benefits over filing a claim through insurers:
- It allows you to seek compensation even if you were partially at fault;
- It allows you to hold multiple parties responsible;
- It provides greater amounts of compensation than otherwise available through insurers;
- In addition to actual costs, it allows you to seek compensation for pain, suffering and lost enjoyment in life, as well as punitive damages, punishing the at-fault party involved.
Get Trusted Legal Guidance From An Experienced Personal Injury Attorney In Orlando
Personal injuries in Orlando can impact your health and financial security for years to come. However, you only have one chance to get compensation. To get the maximum amount you are entitled to, get trusted legal guidance from Payer Law. We can negotiate with insurers on your behalf and file a personal injury lawsuit as needed. Give us a call or contact our Orlando personal injury attorney online and request a consultation to discuss your options today.