Close Menu

Can You Still Receive Compensation For Pain And Suffering After A Florida Car Crash?


Pain and suffering can be quite severe after a car accident in Florida. After your accident, you may be dealing with PTSD, anxiety, and considerable discomfort due to your injuries. Sometimes, the mental and emotional aspects of an injury can last longer than the injury itself. Sometimes, car accident victims become so traumatized that they never drive again. If you are dealing with these kinds of issues after a car accident, you might be wondering whether or not you will be compensated. This is often a tricky question to answer due to Florida’s “no-fault” car insurance laws.

If you want clear answers, your best bet is to get in touch with a qualified, experienced personal injury attorney in Florida. These legal professionals can assess your unique situation and help you determine whether you can claim non-economic damages when you file your injury claim. They can then recommend the best course of action and guide you forward. An attorney can help you gather evidence, represent you in court, and negotiate on your behalf. It’s best to get in touch with one of these legal professionals as soon as possible, as the statute of limitations may prevent you from taking action if you wait too long.

Your Ability to Recover Non-Economic Damages May Be Limited 

Florida has “no-fault” car insurance laws, which means that you can file a claim without actually holding anyone accountable for your accident. Since establishing negligence or “blame” is not required, you simply turn to your own insurance provider to receive compensation for your injuries. While this system is certainly beneficial for many reasons, it does come with its own fair of disadvantages as well.

When you suffer a minor injury, you may only be eligible to receive compensation for medical expenses, missed wages, and other “economic damages.” Economic damages only involve financial losses. Receiving this type of compensation can be quite beneficial, but it does not provide you with any funds to cover PTSD, anxiety, depression, or pain and suffering. These are all examples of “non-economic” damages.

You Can Still Claim Non-Economic Damages Under Certain Circumstances 

With all that said, you can still receive compensation for non-economic damages under certain circumstances. This is typically the case if you have suffered serious, permanent injuries. For example, you may have lost your eyesight. Perhaps your arm has been amputated, or you have become paralyzed from the waist down. Permanent disfigurement may also warrant compensation for pain and suffering, such as scars or burns. Finally, families of deceased car accident victims can also pursue non-economic damages through wrongful death claims.

Enlist the Help of a Qualified Attorney Today 

If you have been injured, the skilled Orlando personal injury lawyers at Payer Law can help. Over the years, we have helped a vast number of injured victims who have suffered greatly in car accidents. We know that non-economic damages like pain and suffering are worth pursuing, and we can help you go over your options during an initial consultation. Reach out today, and we’ll guide you towards a settlement that reflects the true extent of your injuries.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn